RL Vision Knowledge Base

Support questions and answers for software by RL Vision.

Note: This is an archived discussion. Any bug, problem or suggestion mentioned here is likely to have been fixed since it was written.

Subject: Re: Flash Renamer

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:02:08 +0100

Hi again,

Sorry for the late reply. I feel bad that you did not find the new version as easy to work with as the old one. While it does contain many new things, I have also tried to make it easier to work with and understand...

The old and new version should work together. (There might be a few problems with the right click menu, because both version will try to write to it, but this will end if you uninstall the new version.) Looking forward to seeing your screenshots!

// Dan

J wrote:
> Hi there Dan,
>
> I would like to help, as I have found your app really useful in the past, but I uninstalled the trial version of the latest renamer. I found it far too complicated for my simple requirements, difficult to choose the correct tab to set up the parameters required. If I were to re-install it, would it live alongside the older version without interfering with it? I could then make some trials of what I want to use it for and send any results to you.
>
> Basically, I found it difficult to find the correct setting for simple renaming. When I did rename, the order of the files was not made according to the new sequence I had set up in Explorer.
>
> E.g. if I had some photos (which is what I usually use it for) labelled Vietnam 001, Vietnam 002...etc, and I wanted to re-order them as well as renaming, I could move them into the new order in Explorer (Vietnam 008, Vietnam 002, Vietnam 007 etc etc) then select them all, right click on the FIRST in the sequence, and choose new name and the prog would rename the whole sequence in the new order physically set up in Explorer. I could not get it to do that with the new version. In fact, I couldn't seem to find the correct tab in the left-hand box which would do exactly what the old version did - you seem to have changed that facility (but I may be wrong!)
>
> Anyway, let me know if I can install the new version alongside the old without problems and I will try to send some screen shots of what I am trying to do.
>
> Jack
>

> 2010/1/9 Dan (RL Vision) <*****@*****>
>

> I'm glad to hear that you got it working! However, I would still be interested in knowing more about your problems with the sorting. If you could tell me in more detail what you where doing and the functions you used. You see, I have just recently made a pretty big change inside the code, and it is possible that there is still some bug left that I have not found. Any help is appreciated!
>
> // Dan
>

> J wrote:
>> Thanks, Dan,
>>
>> Panic over! I simply re-installed the program (v.4.62) and the lightning symbol appeared this time in the context menu, so I now have it working as it always did! After all your work compiling the application I expect what I use it for is employing only a tenth of its power and doesn't reflect the creativity you put into it.
>>
>> Still, it is now doing service again and helping me to keep all my photos in order. I would be totally lost without it. I'm afraid that most of its wider power (particularly the updated version) is wasted on me as I simply use only a fraction of it and cannot understand its deeper uses.
>>
>> Thanks for your interest and I apologise for taking your time with a false alarm!
>>
>> Yours
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> 2010/1/7 Dan (RL Vision) <*****@*****>

> [...]

Back to Knowledge Base